Monday, November 7, 2011

Prepping fabric

      I spent most of the morning prepping fabric.  I'm washing, drying, and ironing it.  I've done about 28 ish yards.  I always prewash so my final product doesn't have warping or weird shrinkage.   In my younger days, I thought this was a waste of time and made the end product look used.  But most of what I made was for home use and things would never look the same after the first wash.  I finally got the clue that skipping the fabric prepping was not something I should do. 
          I got a few ideas from playing with the fabric. I don't buy fabric with a specific project in mind most of the time.  Sometimes I just buy the fabric because I like it and eventually inspiration will strike.  I actually purchased most of this fabric as a lot.  I fell in love with one or two of the prints.  Since this was all old store stock from the 90's ( yes the 1990's!) it had a few blemishes, fade spots, and one had some rust stains on the selvages. (Never store fabric with pins or staples attached!).  I decided it was best to wash it all and prep it before I put it away.  That way I could measure and know exactly how much of it is really usable.  One solid colored yellow fabric matched some Bee fabric I have.  I definitely want to make a few toddler dresses out of the combo.  But that will be a spring or summer project that I'll save for another day.
    The red polka dot with black watermelon seed fabric, I'm debating making a kids apron,an adult apron, or a baby dress.  Either way....I'm going to use green bias tape for the edges and maybe some rick rack.  Cute for Christmas and summertime.. The green will be like watermelon rind all along the edge.  I'll save that for later too.
      I sound like a procrastinator!  There is some Christmas fabric that I'm going to make bags out of soon and an aqua geometric print that would make a sweet little nursing cover.   I need to buy D-rings.   Well the cover can wait till I have them.   Which reminds me that I need to prep some rusty red oriental fabric that I want to make a nursing cover &bag combo out of. 
     So much to do......I think I'm going to go take a nap!  LOL!  I've been up two days in a row before 5 am. and it's just easier to get the little sweetsy to take a nap if I'm right there beside her.  I don't normally take naps but she's been up since about 5 am and has only slept about 30 minutes total.  I have long ago learned... It is better to waste a couple hours napping than have a whole day of screaming fussiness where nothing will get done.  Plus I'll be up in time to greet the little boy when he gets home from school. Poor kid has a little bruise near his eye ....from pumpkin smashing!  My husband wacked his pumpkin really hard and a piece flew and hit the little guy right below the eye.  They will be wearing safety glasses next year! My hubby is out of town at a conference till midweek.  I hate when he travels.   This is his 3rd trip since the little girl was born and she is not quite 4 months old right now.  Seeing him off was the main reason we were up so early today.  Well off to bed!  Ahhh the joys of "working at home".

No comments:

Post a Comment