Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Snaps

     I got my snap press in the mail.  I was super excited to use it.  I didn't really have anything made that needed a snap! I ordered the Kam snap pliers with ivory snaps and black studs/sockets. Then I also got the Mamma's mix of engraved caps. I figured this would give me the most versitility since I'm just starting to use them.  The engraved snaps are so cute in person! I just want to make up some little pul snack bags and throw some cupcake snaps on them!
     One of the things I DON'T like is that the pliers came with no instructions!  Seriously... how hard would it be to print up an instruction sheet for morons like me? They have instructions on thier website so a little card reminding me would have been nice.  I did go to the website and glance over the tutorial before starting. I've used a Bedazzeler... how much different could this be? (I wish I still had my old Bedazzeler!)  I decided to add a snap to my son's halloween bag. It was sitting on the kitchen table and still has candy in it. I had a lot of trouble lining up the pliers on the snap.  It kept being off center.  Finally I got it to all work out and the snaps to snap. He now has black skull and crossbone engraved snaps on his black spiderweb halloween bag.
     These came in the mix.  I don't really like the skull trend in kids clothes.  My son has only 2 shirts with skulls. One was a gift that he wears as a play shirt. The other has a false tuxedo printed on the front and there are hidden skulls in the vest. I didn't notice them till my son started calling it his "pirate " shirt.  I was so confused for like 5 minutes as to why pirates wore tuxedos! 
     After my trouble with getting the snap centered, I checked and the cap die was the wrong size. Silly me just assumed the correct size would be in the pliers since I only ordered one size of snaps. .  I had ordered 2 extra dies but got 3.  Not sure which size is which as they are labeled T5, TBA, and T3 and that doesn't exacly coordinate with the sizes. 
     I decided to try again with my daughters halloween bag. I choose to use yellow stars on hers since her bag has candy corn design..  This time I stuck the awl through both sides of the bag at the same time. On my son's I did one side at a time and magically they lined up perfect but I really got lucky one wasn't higher than the other. Wow what a difference using the correct die cap made.  It was easy to line up and came out perfect.  It took less than a minute even with a squirming baby sitting on my lap grabbing for the bag the whole time. 
     Last night I had a bit of another type of craft disaster.  One of those... I knew better but did it anyways.  I wanted to prep some of my flannel.  So I washed 3 yards of a light color blue, 1 yard of medium blue, and 3 yards of dark blue. The result was a lint filled mess!  I spent most of last night and this morning de-linting.  The light blue was soft on both sides so it also got lint on the back.  I used a super thin comb to scrap off the worst of it then ran a lint roller over it.  I knew better but I've had such good luck lately with washing more than one peice at a time. It is funny how light fabric is attracted to dark lint and light lint is attracted to dark fabric.  I'll be cutting tonight to make some boy wipes, girl wipes, and christmas bags.   I really need to either find my camera or dig out my old camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment