Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Goals and resolutions

I've tried to consider what would be a reasonable goal for 2012....
My New Year's resolution is ........to not buy any fabric till I use what I have. So for every yard I use I can buy a yard to replace it! That is my motivation to get sewing!
I deactivated my etsy listing as nothing was selling.  I want to reopen in Feb. 2012.  My goal is to list 10 items... then list a new item a day for a month.  I'm working mainly on fabric purses.  I made a really cute jean one with vintage yellowish-orange print fabric that I cut into strips and pleated. Then I was going to make it reversible with a navy blue and white tiny houndstooth poly with long vertical pleats.  But the houndstooth was is turning out so cute that I abandoned that idea. I was going to trim it in denim so I could use a denim strap. Instead I put some lace on it and I'm making a pleated flower. So now I'm going to make them two different purses and have to figure out new reverse sides.
I need to take some photos!
Also, I purchased a huge length of mint condition Julian Tomchin fabric.  I haven't cut it yet! As practice-with different fabric-I tried making a round handbag with round handles from a vintage pattern.  Super cute but the opening is so small it isn't very functional.  I wanted to make a retro design and I thought a round bag would be a perfect contrast to the bold lattice design.  I think I'll just do some tote and hobo style purses.  It is Julian Tomchin fabric!!!!!!!  One of the most famous fabric designers of the 1960's!
Another awesome vintage find was 3 complete Signature Fabric blouse panels with traffic lights red-stop on back and green-go on front. They are similar to this...
http://www.etsy.com/listing/65498879/1967-printed-signature-fabric-watch
I think they would make really cute tote bags but I haven't started them because I'm debating just selling the panels or maybe just selling one panel.
I made a ton of Christmas bags and I'm proud to say ... we used NO wrapping paper this year! I really enjoyed knowing that next year I would not have to make as many!  I made a ton to give away.  We gave away 20 Gingerbread cookie mix in a canning jar.  So I made gingham bags with a gingerbread appliques to put the jars in.  We tied them with twine and a recipe card.  I will not be repeating that next year!  If we ever do cookies in a jar.... I'll just cut up squares of fabric for the tops!
I've also been making dresses for my daughter. I made a really cute pink camo that is sleeveless. I know it's winter but I can put a long sleeve onsie under it. I'll write more and maybe post some pics later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment